Saturday, January 9, 2010

12-week challenge

I took my niece and nephew to Walmart to get some bread to feed the ducks by the river. I heard that during the winter the ducks will swarm you, so I decided to break up the three loaves into small pieces, ready to just throw to the water fowl, in hopes of discouraging them from taking us down to get the food. Anyway, so I'm sitting in the car, tearing up bread, listening to the radio, when I hear an advertisement for Gold's Gym. Joining a gym has never been on my list of "ways to succeed," so I didn't pay much attention until I heard the words "trip for two to Hawaii." My ears perked right up. It turns out that Gold's Gym is doing a 12-week challenge in weight loss, with the trip to Hawaii as the grand prize.
So, I told my niece and nephew that before we went to the river, I had to make a stop, and I made my way to Gold's Gym to hear more about this challenge. It turns out, there is nothing to lose except weight and inches. I figured since I'm doing this weight-loss thing with my sister and friends anyway, I might as well see if I can win something else as well (I certainly wouldn't balk at a trip to Hawaii!).

I filled out the necessary paperwork, got weighed and measured (BMI, chest, waist, and hips), and got my picture taken. Sounds pretty routine, right. The clincher was the picture. Apparently, some skin is required for the before and after pictures. EEEE! So, I had to tuck my shirt and garments into my bra and stand there with my midriff showing. Thankfully that was all the "skin" that was required to show. Phew! It was pretty funny, though. My niece and nephew were playing with the exercise balls and free weights while I was getting measured. However, when I was getting my picture taken (in a blocked-off area of the room), they noticed I was no where to be seen. My niece called for me and followed my voice to where I was at. She came around the corner just in time for the camera to snap me in all my glory. She was quite perplexed when she saw my belly hanging out and asked, "what are you doing??" (you must understand, even though she is 4, she is very aware of being modest, so she knew something was amiss). It was pretty funny.

From here, I get two free sessions with a personal trainer (my first is next Wednesday). I'm going to see if she will train me on the exercise ball and other toning things. I figure I can do the aerobic stuff on my own. I mean, all you really have to do is get your heart rate up for a while, right? It's the other stuff I'm not so sure about. Then, after my two meetings with her, I can go get an exercise ball and do the stuff on my own. The beauty of this challenge is that there is no obligation for me to join the gym or anything. Wahoo!

The down side to this challenge is that the judging is pretty subjective (stupid). It is based on your before and after pictures - whoever shows "the greatest physical change." Dumb, isn't it? The "rules and regulations" state that "measurements will be secondary."

I initially felt that I don't really have a chance, but then I thought, "why not??" If I work hard and stay motivated and am successful, why wouldn't I have just as much chance as anyone else? It's not that I have to look perfect at the end, just show the most physical change. I think I'll actually do my hair for the "after" picture....that can only help! Hehe

Prizes: 1st - all-expense paid trip for two to Hawaii, for 7 days. 2nd - $500 cash. 3rd - a free year's membership to Gold's Gym (watch me win that one). I've also been entered into the national competition, where it's cash prizes....something like $2000-12000. That would be nice.

Anyway. What a lovely day. As far as food goes:


Breakfast:
  • Bowl of Cheerios 

Lunch:
  • Large salad - lots of lettuce and spinach, tomatoes, egg, crackers, little bit of cheese, and ranch dressing (I use the real stuff, just a moderate amount....the low-fat/fat-free stuff makes me want to vomit!) 
Dinner:
  • Egg 
  • Toast
  • Fried red potatoes (made like last night) 
  • Milk

 Snacks:
  • Mini Delights
  • Apple
  • Pistachios 
  • A Tootsie Roll jaw breaker (it was a little stale)

2 comments:

  1. Kristi I am so proud of you! That is so dumb that they will have the measurements be secondary.
    But anyway, I know that you will do awesome and I am so INSPIRED by you with the excercise and motivation. It really helps me out to know that I can do it too! If you win the trip, I would really like to be the companion. I mean, what friend have you known longer......see it is me!!! And besides that, who introduced you to Taislim? Ya, I think that I make the best choice to come along as your friend. :)Keep up the good work-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anna! And as far as Hawaii goes....you'll have to battle it out with Kathi. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete